Janet Hoffman & Associates LLC has considerable experience defending corporations and individuals in grand jury investigations and prosecutions of alleged environmental crimes, including Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act violations, environmental testing irregularities, and toxic dumping. Ms. Hoffman is the author of the criminal liability chapter in the Oregon Bar Book, Environmental Law. The publication discusses topics such as state and federal environmental crimes, corporate liability, trial practice, and parallel investigations.
In addition to navigating clients through the criminal defense process, the firm’s attorneys have successfully defended clients against the threat of suspension and debarment from government procurement and non-procurement programs at both the state and federal levels.
- Representation of a senior project manager in connection with the purported failure to design and implement adequate storm water protection measures on a major public works project.
- Representation of individuals and companies in cases involving the alleged dumping of toxic materials at sea and the associated falsification of shipboard books and records.
- Representation of various companies, including a food processing company, lumber mills, a municipality, railroads, and shipping companies against alleged violations of the Clean Water Act.
- Representation of lumber mills and railroads in cases involving alleged violations of the Clean Air Act.
- Representation of companies and individuals, including a chemical manufacturer and its owner against state and federal charges related to alleged hazardous waste disposal.